Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Handmade Journey



I'm amazed by all the talent coming out of the woodwork out there. Especially this time of year. I used to make a lot of things too. I was once an excellent seamstress. But last summer I had to have my DIL show me how to thread a sewing machine!


Pretty lame. But it's just that there have been other avenues to travel in my life, and it's been about since 1985 since I trekked the knitting, quilting, and crocheting road.


After 1985, I did a little bit of country living. The kind where you deliver your own water, and haul away your own trash, and do a lot of talking to yourself. There was no Internet. Not even a telephone. The mail was a drive to the post office, and the "convenience" store was eight miles away.



You might think that there would be lots of creative time to fill the hours. But "making do" took all my time.


Fast forward to back to the city, part time work, and the university. Still raising a family, my extra time was now spent making grades. I made a whole bunch of them. But arts and crafts fell by the wayside.


This is not a sorry story. My creative life took another turn down the lush lanes of the life of the mind. I crafted papers instead of paper crafts. I learned how to gather ideas instead of stitches. And did cut and paste on a word processor instead of with scissors and glue.


After graduation, I went down the road of making my own living. And tried really hard to make time itself for things. I did a pretty good job. But I don't have anything particularly decorative to show you.


And I began to travel the world. I walked from Doolin, Ireland to the Cliffs of Moher just because it was fun. And I made ten miles that day. I climbed the pyramids of Tikal in the darkness, and made the solstice sunrise. I climbed Brunelleschi's Dome.


In the late nineties I produced a cluster of backyard family weddings. Four to be exact. I only mention it because it felt like creative work at the time. By 2003 I had gone into the antiques business. And when you go into antiques, it's more about searching for things instead of making them.


I managed to find a little time to get into collage and card making for awhile. So much fun! But the last year or two in retail has distracted me from that.


I have dabbled in painting, writing, and photography. I've had a wonderful time of it doing a blog. But when I look over the cleverness found in Etsyland, I get a wee bit of nostalgia for the old days. I think again of threading needles, of learning the uses of a glue gun. . . . 



I can feel the wanderlust creeping up, and a journey down a new road. The only thing I have made in recent time is this bed. And I'm ready for a little adventure. . . .



 For now I'm off to see more beautiful handmade stuff!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope your week is great!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline


Join me at


40 comments:

  1. oh my ~ I love everything about this entry! Beautiful, simply beautiful!
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline,

    I enjoyed this post. When I read your last bit about being ready for a new adventure, I immediately thought about Bilbo Baggins in "The Return of the King", when he says "And now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey." Imagine my surprise when I scrolled back up to the top of your post and saw the quote by J.R.R. Tolkien. :)

    It looks like you've had quite an amazing life, and yet, I still think it's quite human to pine for something different at times. Maybe that's how we keep growing.

    Have a good day.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure have lived an adventurous life!! I am glad to be able to know what it is that will come next with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a magical life. Full of hard work and rewards, whether they be on a trip, in school, with children, you have succeeded. Sew you don't make anything right now,, you are still you know. You are creating this beautiful haven for all of us to drop in on, to while away the time with pretty things. Thank you for that. It's a whole journey in itself. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that whatever you endeavor to do, you will be a tremendous success....I, for one, can't wait to follow you down this road :)

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jacqueline,
    It's good to take stock of where we've been and what we've accomplished over the years. I'd say that your life thus far has been a rich one and very fulfilling. But of course there is much more to come.
    Who knows, maybe you will be picking up that needing and threading that machine and making something wonderful again.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a very gifted woman Jacqueline! Thank you for sharing all you've done in the past. I'm sure there are many more new things for you to try in the future and I hope you will still be here to share them with us. Blessings to you! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post and it's nice to know a little more about you! Your bed is beautiful! There's just something about all white!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think of you as being very artistic so whatever you do I know it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you are a well traveled and wise woman. Fun learning more about you. I always love seeing your beautiful linens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacqueline, Beautiful images! You have had such a wonderful life full of many and varied interest! No wonder your blog is filled with such uniqueness and fabulous posts!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a very talented, artistic lady, Jacqueline. This is a lovely post & I enjoyed hearing more about you and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To me, your most obvious talent is for display! I get lost in your photos...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacqueline, we all have seasons in our lives. You certainly strike me as a talented woman that could do just about anything.

    Your photography is breathtaking!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. the bedspread is just gorgeous, and of course the crisp white linens!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, you changed your banner, very nice. Loved hearing about your different adventures and transitions in life. Sound like a life well lived so far. I'd like to add more travel to mine but I have climbed Masada at dawn. Crafts have always been a part of my life. They may have changed over time but I get restless if I don't have something to work on. Thanks for sharing your experiences, Laura Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You have quite a story to tell. How delightful that you have been so adventuresome. Good for you. Love the pic. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reading your story, Jacqueline! The linens are exquisite...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds to me like you've lived a very full life so far.....just think of all your journeys to come?

    Beautiful linens:-)

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. A full and rich life so far ... you never know where your creations with take you. Enjoy your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post,and exciting journey you have travelled. Looking forward to your next adventure.
    Your white lacy bed is so beautiful, and I love the new header of your blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow what a rich life you have had. A lot of visdom. I just love your pictures and the bed is beautiful.

    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such gorgeous antique linens and your bedroom is so pretty!
    It was nice hearing where you have been on your life's journey. Anxious to hear where you next steps carry you too.
    :)

    xx
    A

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful post...it was so interesting to hear all about your life journey. Lovely photos too. I love to do needlework, I find it very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everyone has a creative trail and they are all full of twists and turns. I guess that's just the nature of creativity.

    This was a beautiful post to accompany the story.

    Thanks for visiting me ~
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. It was nice hearing a little of your life's journey, Jacqueline... it's been very full.
    You may not have done a lot of crafting or creating, but you sure know how to make a lovely bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE this post!! You sure are talented with words!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this beautiful blog that you've created--it always feels serene and relaxing here.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, what a busy and interesting life you have led thus far, Jacqueline! Beautiful words...I do hope you find time now to 'create' again, in whatever form it takes!
    - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that's so true about country life. It's easy to romanticise it and turn it into a kind of rural idyll of producing craft after craft....but I'm sure your experience is true of LOTS of people!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've enjoyed getting to know you better today! I am excited at the thought of you opening an etsy shop! Love the details of the bedspread...looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I know how you feel. Some of these artists and crafters are so very talented! And I feel as a creative person, I should be doing more. But life gets in the way and I never have time (or inclination, I guess!) to set about creating beautiful projects. :-)

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jacqueline, finally catching up on your posts. Oh my!!! Memories!! You have always been one of the MOST talented women I have ever known!!! I remember braided rag rugs you made many years ago. And those sweaters you knitted for ALL your kids!! They were gorgeous and I was amazed that anyone could do that. I also remember your telling me that once I did cross stitch, I would never be able to put it down. Well, I did some---and put it down right quick!! I am not a crafter at all and admire the creativity and talent of many women, especially you. It was in 84 that we left Alb. and moved here to OR. Cannot believe it! Well, if all you made was that bed, you have to know---it's gorgeous!!! And someone as busy as you might just need a nap on that cozy, comfortable oasis.
    Love, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear Kay: Thanks so much! So nice to have old friends to butter you up! Haha! We've traveled some ground together, Lady! Our shared thoughts through the years, and across too many miles, have been a bit like steel sharpening steel. You've been such a constant through my journey. Thanks so much for that! Love, Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear Friends: Thanks so much for all your kind and encouraging comments. That long lead up to my point may have seemed that something momentous was about to happen. Wow! But I never know when something like that is happening until it's all long past! Ha! Thank you all so much for letting me know that you check in sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a lovely post and so nice to know more about you and your history. What an interesting and full life you have. Here's to new adventures in this new year. I hope you take us with you.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!