Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Just Linen



The weekend is always a great time for junking! And I always have my radar out for pretty linen. Since I also sell from my collections, what I select to buy has to be in good condition. A lot gets passed up for that reason.




I never buy in lots because the chances are that many of the pieces will have problems. You have to open up and examine every seam and surface of a vintage piece you are considering. Even then I sometimes miss things. That's just the way with linen. It's meant to be used, and use takes its toll.





I recently found this set of vintage pillowcases separated from each other in a jumble of linens in a box at a fleamarket. There was maybe one other suitable item in the whole box. Everything, including the pillow slips, was yellowed and wrinkled as it frequently is. But I'm thrilled beyond reason when I find pairs of things, and the price made them worth the risk! Often just a typical wash will make the fabric white again. 




It takes some perseverence, but am completely hooked on the hunt and the result. (These are the softest cotton pillowcases that I have ever felt!)




A small hand towel like this one is the most ubiquitous item to find in good condition and also at a good price. I never pass one up if it has a crocheted trim. 




I am often asked about restoring and caring for linen. But I am no expert. I know little more than the average person. And I do next to no restoration. My experience has taught me to tell the difference between what will simply wash out, and what you will likely have to live with.





I have a great talent for loving linen, however! And that is the driving force in my search. It is a texture of life that I never want to live without.





Smooth cotton to lie my head down on at night. The soft look of a freshly laid table. The prettiness of a bit of lace peeking out over the furniture, or a lovely weave to address the mundane tasks of every day.




Linens are a part of life. We may as well have some lovely ones!






 We had an exciting thunderstorm and refreshing rain last evening after the weather report predicted no chance of rain. (We aways need it here in the desert.) Don't you just love beating the odds? And it's a perfect morning for the farmer's market.

Have a fantastic weekend no matter what you're up to!
Thanks so much for coming by!

Jacqueline





Join me at

19 comments:

  1. Love your beautiful linens. They are always so crisp and fresh looking. I love all the different textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, how lovely, truly lovely. J- could you send me an email if you are considering selling those cases? I dream of owning them if possible for us both.

    Also, beating the odds: we here in central Ohio have had 4 perfect - and I mean PERFECT days. It's so rare we're all kinda freaked out in happy mode. I am using my laptop outside as I drink coffee, been getting up at 6am just to enjoy these rare days. Usually it's so hot and sticky it is unbearable this time of year.

    Glad it rained for you. : - ) Keep it there though, please? But usually it comes east doesn't it? Bah.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always admire your piles of linen. I would be. Regular customer in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new pillow cases... what a find! Enjoy the weekend.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always seem to find the prettiest linens. My favorites are the ones that have crochet lace on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all these white linens. They are so pretty and can still be used. Do enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Saturday J,
    What a perfect way to spend the day! Yum Yum, fabulous pillow slips, all the swirly details!!
    Lucky You!!
    Hugs,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful way to spend a day, and just look at the result. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, you have shared a treasure of texture and real material not made in China! Lovely, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love old linens. I see them and they have to come home with me. These pieces are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous find of the pretty pillowcases. I buy most of my linens from a lady at the antique barn who like you finds great bargains and she removes stains, washes everything and puts them in plastic bags for handling. Her prices are reasonable too.
    I only use white linens on the bed, and I enjoy ironing them every week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really hit the jackpot, Jackie.
    I love the embroidery on these, sooo
    beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. The white linens are just gorgeous. Love all the beautiful detail to them. You are the linen whisper for sure. You can find them and re love them back to pretty. Gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. only YOU could make me want to wash and iron!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello!
    Love this linnen, so beautiful!
    And so many!
    Nice evening to you!
    Kathrine

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's that word again at the tip of my lips....."lovely".

    You always inspire me!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  17. so charming, jaqueline! the crocheted trims are my favorite! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah Jacqueline... you always find the prettiest linens. I'm always looking, but rarely find matching pieces or such lovely ones without stains. I have a dose of linen envy for those gorgeous pillowslips. Thank you for sharing them with Shabbilicious Friday. I'm delighted to be featuring them at tomorrow's party.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would be a stunning duvet cover?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!